Wednesday 4 August 2010

Dis-order in the Court!

"Right Ginger Tail, just pass me my funny wig and help me into my nice red robes." I said.
Yes my lord, they make you look like Santa Claus" replied Ginger Tail. "We'll have less of your cheek!" I said sternly. I took a quick look in the mirror, and being most impressed with what I saw, I instructed my servant to lead on. Ginger Tail opened the door, and walked ahead of me. As I entered the room, wise Old Black Tom, the Clerk of the Court, stood up and announced in a very solemn voice,
All rise for Lord Albert The Cat.
Everyone in the court stood up and I strolled to my throne behind the big bench in the front. There was a nice fluffy cushion on it, ideal for a quick snooze. I was patting it down with my paws when I heard the words of Old Black Tom,
The court is now in session, pray silence for Lord Chief Justice Albert The Cat.
"I thought it was Santa Claus" said a voice from the back that sounded suspiciously like Tabby.I nodded, and everyone sat down.
Righto” I said and asked Old Black Tom what was the first case. After all, he is a very clever cat, and knows everything.
No idea" he replied. "Sorry m'lud" he said, "just my little joke!"
"Pray continue" I said.
With pleasure m’lud” he replied. "Today’s case is the people, well the cats actually, versus the one Bert does not trust. Will the Sergeant at Arms please bring up the prisoner.”
There was a scuffling noise at the foot of the stairs, followed by much hissing and growling. Eventually, Riley, the biggest ginger cat you ever did see, dragged the one Bert does not trust into the dock.I will now ask the Clerk of the Court to read out the charge sheet” I said.
“Thank you m’lud. The one Bert does not trust - you are charged that yesterday, with malice aforethought, you did grievously and wilfully, and with premeditated intent fail to provide Albert The Cat with a plentiful and tasty portion of prawns for his breakfast – How do you plead," said Old Tom, with all the dignity he could muster.
“Not guilty m’lud” replied the one I don't trust.
“What!!!” I exclaimed. “Not guilty, how ridiculous. Can we charge him with perjury and contempt of court as well?”
“Er, a splendid idea m’lud, but I am afraid there are no legal precedents for such action. Stupid as it may seem, the defendant does have the right to enter a plea of not guilty," said Old Tom sagely.
“Shame” I said, “let’s press on, I am very keen not to waste any more time, I’m looking forward to the sentencing!”
“Er, excuse me m’lud,” interjected the Clerk, “but don’t you mean the verdict?”
“Oh yes, of course, a tiresome formality we have to go along with” I replied, “very well can I please ask, who is appearing for the prosecution.”
“I am m’lud” said a scruffy looking brown cat with one eye and half an ear missing. It was none other than Mad Harry, “and I will be ably assisted by my deputy, Slasher Sid QC, and may I say m’lud how well you are looking, and how splendid you look in your nice red robes.”
“Most kind,” I replied, “and who is fighting the lost cause, oops sorry, slip of the tongue, who is appearing for the defence?”
“I am” said the one I don’t trust, “I am defending myself."
“Silence in Court” I cried.
"Er, excuse me m’lud", said the Clerk, "but outrageous as it may seem, he is allowed to do that.”
“Oh very well then, just get on with it” I said in frustration.
“I call upon the prosecution to open their case," said the Clerk.

Mad Harry QC rose to his feet – “I would like to call my first witness, Lord Albert The Cat.”
“Objection” shouted the one I don’t trust.
“Overruled” I said, and proceeded to take the witness stand.
“Please put your paw on the bible, and repeat after me” said the clerk, “I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.”
“I’m the damn judge” I said, “of course I’m going to tell the truth, my word is law round here you know. What a lot of nonsense.”
“Er, yes m’lud, but I’m afraid it is another tiresome formality we have to go through” he replied.
“Very well” I said, “then can we get to the sentencing, er… verdict I mean?”
Mad Harry QC approached the witness box – “m’lud, on the morning in question, you rose from you slumbers quite naturally expecting your prawns to be served - can you please tell the court precisely what happened next.”
“I most certainly can,” I said, “the one I don’t trust, whose primary responsibility it is to care for me, went out and completely forgot the said prawns”
And can you identify that person in this courtroom?” said Mad Harry QC.
“It’s him, the one in the dock” I said pointing at the one I don't trust.
“No further questions m’lud, I rest my case” said Mad Harry.
“Would the defence like to cross examine the witness” asked the Clerk.
“I most certainly would” said the one I don’t trust.“Silence in Court” I shouted, “never heard of such a thing, the defendant asking the judge questions. We’re not having that in my court. As there are no further witnesses, I will do my summing up for the jury before we adjourn for a light lunch of tuna and fresh salmon, and then return for the sentencing. Firstly, may I congratulate the prosecution team, led by Mad Harry QC, for the comprehensive and compelling case they have laid before us today. Their painstaking research and attention to detail clearly justifies the enormous fees they will be charging. Now, members of the jury, when you retire to consider your verdict, there is one thing that should be uppermost in your mind – the unimpeachable integrity of the chief witness. This is an open and shut case! In the unlikely event, that there are still any doubts in your mind, I will ask Mad Harry and Slasher Sid to sit in with you to advise on points of law if you get my drift. Right, that’s my lot, I’m off for a spot of lunch.”

“I think it is all going rather well so far” I said to Ginger Tail as we prepared to go back into court.
“Yes m’lud” she replied, "have you got a nice present for me in your big sack?"
“Ladies, gentlemen and cats of the jury, have you reached a verdict.” Said the Clerk.
“Yes we have” said the foreman, who just happened to be my poncy brother Tabby.
“Will the defendant please rise” said the Clerk, upon which point, Riley dug his claws into the leg of the one I don’t trust and he stood up sharply.
“Do you find the defendant guilty or not guilty”
Tabby said “we find the defendant............................ covered in hair!" Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........
"That's a strange verdict"
I thought, as I was unceremoniously shoved off of my throne. "The chair, it's damn well covered in hair already, we only cleaned the place up yesterday. I bet that Bert is the main culprit" said the one I don't trust tersely. I woke up with a shock as I landed on the floor. Where am I? What's happening? Oh no, it was all a dream, just a dream. What a disappointment. Why did he wake me up just as we were getting to the good bit.Well, that's my lot for today. To finish on a lighter note, did I tell you about the cross eyed judge? He said to the first defendant, “how do you plead?” “Not guilty” replied the second defendant. “I wasn’t talking to you” the judge said. “I never said a word” replied the third defendant. Ho Ho Ho..... What do you mean you don't like it. Try this one then - the defendant said to the judge, “I don't recognize this court!” “Why not?” asked the Judge. “Because you’ve had it decorated since I was here last.” Ho Ho Ho..... oh well, please yourselves. What a Life! AlbertThe(hanging judge)Cat.

29 comments:

  1. What a dream! And so close to a verdict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you woke up too soon Albert - you should have "hung" him!! (Whoops - did I really say dat). eerrrr, I mean "you might have had a "hung jury."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bert, you should try to go to sleep again to finish the dream, I want to know what happened last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would make an excellent malaysian judge! I hope you get real prawns as bribes - gifts - instead of just dream ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time dream about prawns. Then you'll have plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn it, you woke up too soon Albert!

    Lu-Lu- & Lucius

    ReplyDelete
  7. Albert had a dream and then he woke up - MOL: http://www.cat-toure.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lord Albert,
    Please inform your humans to allow you to finish such interesting dreams! The jokes at the end made up for not having a final verdict...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bert,
    where are you? please post again soon I miss you.
    Jake the red tabby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where is Albert? I miss His words of wisdom and humor!! Come back Albert, We Miss You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha I'm sorry to hear you woke up too soon to finish that wonderful dream Lord Albert. Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm back and still following you. As per my latest blog post, I'm letting everyone that's in my following list know I still have them.
    We love the dream too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sir Albert - Where are you? Are you okay? We're concerned that you are not blogging because of ill health. Please say it ain't so! Blackie the Cat thinks you are the Cat's Meow--as do we all. Please let us know how you and your housekeeping staff are doing. We miss you so much. - The Pack

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the first time I've stumbled across this blog and I've just spent minutes giggling to myself. I've added you to my rss feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You weren't sent to prison, were you? We hope you are ust quiet and not sick.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Albert, what has happened to you? You haven't been posting for months! We hope everything is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Albert, where are you? The virtual world is less fun since you stopped posting. Thinking of you and hoping for the best for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Lord Albert:
    I’d like to introduce myself, I’m Sylvester. I am writing because I believe that we are twins and were somehow separated at birth. I too am a dump cat. I feel my housekeeping staff should note that I have a title and I am not just an ordinary house cat. I firmly believe I should be called “Lord Sylvester”. If we aren’t brothers perhaps we could switch places…our housekeeping staff would hardly notice!

    Good Day!

    Sylvester…or should I say “Lord Sylvester”

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thinking of you Albert The Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi cat lovers! (:
    check out this new cat site on facebook! -catlikes.org-
    amazing cats photos and videos that update on a daily base!
    give us your like and help us spread the love for cats! (:
    www.catlikes.org

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry for using the comments but I couldn't find a contact email anywhere.

    I was reading your blog, and I wanted to get in touch about PetsCorner. They’re trying to find out what pet bloggers think about their products, and are reaching out to dog blogs to ask them to review their dog food (http://www.petscorner.co.uk/symply)

    If you would be interested in receiving some free dog food for review or a mention on your blog, then please get in touch with your address so I can get it sent out to you.

    Many thanks

    Alan@bozboz.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow ! What a dream! We would hate to be the one you did not trust!
    We are happy to meet you and will be following along, so we will see you soon. Please come visit us if you can.
    Harry, Dexter and Tipp

    ReplyDelete
  23. Isn’t it a shame that some people cannot just respect authority? Not giving someone enough prawns for breakfast should be a criminal offence. All court cases must have a star witness, and the evidence was compelling. Did you ever notice that the best dreams always end right when they get to the good part?

    My Website: http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have a very good cat flap blog which is really interesting and knowledgeable. I really appreciate you for this good work keeps it up. You can also find a very good cat flap by Happy-Shop

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a desire! So all around a consensus.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful clicks, and awesome thoughts Adopt a dog

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very cute! Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks you so much for sharing this opinion.
    We have moved more than 5000 Pet Boarding Services in Delhi, and all around the world.
    pet relocation company in delhi | Pet Relocation Services | Pet Transport Services

    ReplyDelete