Wednesday 18 November 2009

A New Career Awaits!

Everything seems to be back to normal this morning after the trials and tribulations of the last few days. Partook of a few prawns for breakfast - most acceptable. Weather is dreadful today, so no plans to do anything too strenuous - a nice long snooze on the duvet seems favourite. I trust my "stupid sister" and "poncy brother" will not disturb me - I am still not talking to them!
I was wondering what I should ramble on about today, then I remembered something I had seen recently. I was sitting on the front window sill, watching the world go by - I keep an eye out for the spiteful little Jack Russell that lives next door. For a dog, he is very small - what he lacks in height, he makes up for in noise, always yapping away, especially when he sees me or the postman.
You'll never believe this, but he has a dog-flap in the back door! I've never heard of such a thing, didn't even know they made them. I thought this was a privilege only us cats enjoyed. Mind you, a miserable little thing like him, could probably get in and out of the letter box! When I see his owner taking him for a walk, I like to pop round, let myself in and see what is on offer in his food bowl. His owner spoils him rotten. Quite often there is minced steak or even fresh chicken. It would be a very poor show to see this go to waste, you know, what with global warming, declining natural resources and all that stuff. So I help out by scoffing the lot. I feel I am doing my bit for the environment.
Anyway, what I really wanted to tell you about was what else I saw. A man with a white stick walked past, with a nice looking Labrador dog on a lead. The dog was wearing a very fetching yellow jacket. Do you know what happened next? Well when they wanted to get to the other side of the road, the dog sat at the kerb and looked both ways, waited for a car to pass, stood up and led his owner across. Now I thought that was very clever, especially for a dog. Crossing roads is extremely difficult. Ask "my poncy brother" Tabby, he got himself run over last year trying - Oh how I laughed! Depending on your point of view, you may or may not be pleased to know he made a full recovery.

This puzzled me, so I went and saw the wise old Black Tom from down the road. He is a very clever cat - he told me so himself. The fount of all knowledge in fact. He reckons that dogs, being a little slow on the uptake, can be trained to perform certain tasks, even very complicated ones, to help people. What I had seen was a dog helping someone who couldn't see very well. He said as well as "seeing dogs" for those who have eyesight problems, there are also "hearing dogs" for those who are a little deaf. Well this set me thinking - what with humans always being on diets, they must need "eating cats" to help those who are watching their weight. Without wishing to sound big-headed, I could be very good at that. Old Black Tom thought so too, said it was a good career opportunity for me and I should start putting in plenty of practice. I intend to follow his advice.
Well that's my lot for today. "The pretty one" here is always talking about diets. I need to make sure she is aware that my services are always available to her. I am a very thoughtful cat. What a life! AlbertTheCat.

1 comment: